John Elway got the quarterback

zhangzk
ENGLEWOOD D.K. Metcalf Jersey , Colo. (AP) — he wanted all along, but without the pressure that would have come with Drew Lock being a first-round pick.“I’m hoping it allows us to let him grow, and the expectations are not as high as they would be with a top-10 pick,” Elway said Friday night after selecting Missouri’s powerful but unpolished passer in the second round of the NFL draft.Many projections had Lock going to Denver with the 10th overall selection in Round 1, but Elway traded down, taking Iowa tight end Noah Fant at No. 20 and obtaining an extra second-rounder from Pittsburgh in the process.He used that extra selection in a deal with Cincinnati to move up Friday and draft Lock one spot after selecting Kansas State offensive lineman Dalton Risner, a Colorado native who is expected to start immediately at right guard.In the third round, he added Ohio State defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones, whom he hopes can push the pocket from the inside, making edge rushers Von Miller and Bradley Chubb, the league’s top pass-rushing duo, even more effective.Elway said he traded up to No. 42 to grab Lock because he was concerned the Dolphins or the even division-rival Raiders would select him.“We’re very fortunate. We didn’t think he would fall nearly this far,” Elway said. “Right now Cody Barton Jersey , we’ve got a starting quarterback in Joe Flacco, so he’ll be an understudy .”With Lock not coming in to compete for the starting job, the Broncos hope to avoid the quarterback drama that dominated the organization for two years after Elway drafted notable first-round bust Paxton Lynch in 2016.“We’re hoping that Drew is the future but Joe is the starter,” Elway said. “And we kind of look at it like the Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers type of situation. He’s going to have time to sit and watch Joe and take his time and learn and continue to get better.”Lock ran the spread offense in college and needs to learn how to play under center like Flacco’s done his whole career, while improving his technique to become more accurate, Elway said.“We believe he’s got a ton of talent,” Elway said, “but he’s got a lot to work on.”Lock said he’s ready to sit and wait, watch and learn.“Joe is a great quarterback. Obviously, he’s won a lot of football games and he’s won a Super Bowl,” Lock said. “I couldn’t be more excited to be able to go in there and learn from a guy like that … just be the best teammate I can be right off the bat.”Sliding into the second round, however, brings more motivation into the mix for Lock http://www.cardinalsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-zach-allen-jersey , who watched fellow QBs Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins go in the first round.“It certainly does,” Lock said. “I know the kind of player I am. I know the kind of player I’m going to be. This adds a little chip to the shoulder bigger than the one that’s already on there.”Lock was among the two dozen prospects invited to the draft in Nashville, and about an hour after Elway drafted him, he was brought out onto the stage to get the traditional hug and handshake from the commissioner.Risner also had high hopes of getting drafted in Round 1, but he couldn’t have been happier to get a call from the Broncos while his family was gathered in downtown Denver, about an hour south of his hometown of Wiggins, Colorado.“Of course, everyone wants to go in the first round,” Risner said, but he figured landing his dream destination more than made up for it.He recalled playing at the Broncos’ stadium in high school.“I remember looking at the field and I told myself the next time I was at the field I was going to be playing for the Broncos,” Risner recounted.NO TRADE: For the second straight day, Elway said he didn’t field any serious offers for cornerback Chris Harris Jr ., who issued a pay-me-or-trade-me request this week. Elway said he still plans to address Harris’ desire for a pay raise after the draft. Harris Gary Jennings Jr. Jersey , 30, is due $7.8 million in 2019, and he wants about $15 million a year. CHICAGO (AP) — Nick Foles hit Golden Tate with a 2-yard touchdown pass on fourth down with 56 seconds remaining against the NFL’s stingiest defense, lifting the Philadelphia Eagles past the Chicago Bears 16-15 on Sunday in the final wild-card game.Former Eagles kicker Cody Parkey hit the left upright and then the crossbar with a field-goal attempt from 43 yards with 10 seconds remaining, silencing the raucous crowd.The defending league champion Eagles (10-7) squeezed into the playoffs by beating Washington and having the Bears (12-5) help them by knocking off Minnesota in the season finale. Philadelphia thanked its benefactor with a 12-play, 60-yard drive on which Foles, the Super Bowl MVP last February, hit six passes.Philly plays at New Orleans (13-3) next Sunday.No team has repeated as Super Bowl champion since New England in 2004, and the Eagles are a sixth seed. The last sixth seed to win the NFL title was Green Bay in the 2010 season.But these Eagles, led by Foles and a defense down to backups at several positions, seem to have that magical touch like last season.It was a sizzling ending to a game marked by superior defense and several critical mistakes by the Eagles. They had to survive after Tarik Cohen, an All-Pro punt returner, took back the kickoff following Philly’s go-ahead score 35 yards. Mitchell Trubisky completed two passes to get the Bears close enough for Parkey. But his kick took a double deflection and fell harmlessly into the end zone.He was 11 of 12 in the fourth-quarter on field goals before missing the biggest kick of his career.CHARGERS 23 Phil Haynes Jersey , RAVENS 17BALTIMORE (AP) — Los Angeles kept Lamar Jackson grounded, and by the time the rookie got the passing game going it was too late for Baltimore.Michael Badgley kicked five field goals, and Los Angeles harassed and hounded Jackson during a victory in the opening round of the NFL playoffs.The Chargers (13-4) will next face the second-seeded New England Patriots (11-5) on the road Sunday. The Chargers last won two games during a single postseason in 2007, when the franchise was in San Diego.Badgley set a franchise record for field goals in a playoff game. He connected from 21, 53, 40, 34 and 47 yards.The Chargers built a 23-3 lead in the fourth quarter before Jackson threw two touchdown passes to make it close. Given one final chance to complete the comeback, the 21-year-old Jackson looked every bit like the youngest quarterback to start an NFL playoff game when he lost the ball on his third fumble of the game.Jackson finished 14 for 29 for 194 yards with an interception. He was sacked seven times.The Chargers got even for a 22-10 loss two weeks ago to Baltimore (10-7), the AFC North champions.